It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:59 am 

Hi ,
I am writing here with a serious problem.
I get different IP address when I check using 'ipconfig' in my command promt and using iplocation.net (or any other ip address finder tool, for e.g. 'whatsmyipaddress.com' or 'ipaddressfinder.info' or 'gmail last account activity').
When I ping I get reply from the IP which I get using 'ipconfig' but not reply using the one I get from iplocation.net
I think the ip address I am getting using 'ipconfig' command in the cmd prompt is wrong (please correct me if I am wrong).
I am using a wireless USB modem (data card). I want to know what could be the problem ? Is it a problem with my computer or the internet service provider ?
The example of IP's I get using 'ipconfig' are : 100.96.59.192, 100.96.150.218, 100.97.254.157.
And the IP's I get using iplocation.net / whatsmyip are : 101.221.129.174, 101.221.129.172 etc.

I will be really thankful for any assistance and eagerly looking forward to hear from you.

With regards,
Shubhadeep

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:14 pm 
Site Admin

Shubhadeep,

The IP address given by the iplocation.net is the public facing IP address, which is viewed outside of your network. This IP address may be your gateway, proxy server, or any intermediate device that interconnects your computer to the public IP network.

IPconfig, on the other hand, displays IP address(es) or your local machine (i.e. your computer). You may have multiple IP addresses assigned to your PC depending on how your machine is setup.

The IP addresses returned by ipconfig such as 100.96.59.192, 100.96.150.218, and 100.97.254.157 may be assigned by your service provider to internally map your computer to the outside of network.

In summary, the IP address returned by the iplocation.net is the public facing IP address whereas the IP address returned by the command, ipconfig is the local IP address of your computer. They are two different devices.

Regards,
IP Location Team.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:54 am 

Hi,

Thank you so much for your reply. I also went through the articles mentioned in the 'Related Articles' column and those were very informative to me.
As you have mentioned, first :
1. I am not using any Proxy,
2. Whenever I check my gateway, it always gives a me the same IP address where the first octat starts with 101. - . - . - . And this address is very much different then the IP address I get say for eg., 100.98.34.119
3. I am connecting to the internet using a Wireless Data Card ( A dongle) connected to the USB port and there is no other device (say, a router) in between.
4. As far as my understanding, I am not using any Private IP as there is no router so, no subnetting, (now I am not sure how the Internet Service Provider is configured).

5***. It is not always that, I get different IP addresses using IPconfig and iplocation.net / whatsmyip.com. There are certain times when I get the same Public IP using IPconfig and iplocation.net or gmail. But its random and frequency is very less.
What I meant to say is at random times I get SAME Public IP address say for eg., 101.221.129.174 using IPconfig, gmail recent activity and iplocation.net. But its very rare.

6. When I query the IP addresses I get using IPconfig (say for eg., 100.98.34.119) in iplocation.net , it tells me that the IP address belongs to "Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA)".

How can I find out why using 'ipconfig', showing me such Local IP. I will be really thankful for any suggestions from you.

With regards,
Shubhadeep

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:30 pm 
Site Admin

Shubhadeep,

Before I can answer your question, may I ask why you want your devices 'ipconfig' IP address and public IP address (reported by iplocation.net) to be the same?

What is the brand and model of your wireless data card, and who is your wireless provider?

In essense, your computer is assigned an IP address which is the local interface provided by your wireless data card (or dongle). When your computer connects to the Internet, the public sees your network via the public IP address which may be external interface of your wireless dongle.

You may wish to contact your wireless provider for this issue.

Regards,
IP Location Team.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:34 am 

Hi,

Thank you so much for your reply.
I was actually checking the different IP addresses I get by connecting and disconnecting my data card repeatedly. In that process I found there were few occasions when the IP address using ipconfig, gmail, iplocation.net (or similar such websites which I got after google search) gave the same IP address). And that IP address also looked valid and logical to me.

I am using a ZTE make data card and I am using this wireless service since long time and will try to get some assistance.

With regards,
Shubhadeep